Art is in the eye of the beholder and so too are the images that inspire. My work varies from painting, drawing , sculpting and photography. I get my inspiration from artists that I love, things that surround me, my family and my imagination.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Drizzle Canvas

 I have had this canvas sitting in my study for months and now that I am on holidays, I finally have had a chance to try out a new idea that I had.
Several layers of glaze and burnt umber added here
I do apologise for not having the pics of the first step, but I don't seem to be able to see where I have saved them!!  Any how, firstly I smeared modelling compound onto the canvas.  I then used various items to create texture- non slip matting, lids and scoring tools.
A close up of the texture
 I painted the whole canvas in Kaiser colour red and allowed it to dry.  Then a second coat.
 I then used Jo Sonja's Clear Glaze Medium and Heave body paint (a drop only) to begin creating a transparent colour scheme.  The glaze makes the colour more vibrant and you can add many layers until you get he desired effect.
 Now here is the fun bit!  I then drizzled red paint down the canvas.  Squeezing out more paint when I wanted long drizzles.  When the paint reached the length that I wanted I lay it down to semi dry.


I poured a mix of Kaiser off white and Clear medium glaze together to see what effect would be created. It looks like Christmas icing doesn't it?



 I also added a mocha colour and then a final drizzle of gold

 A couple of days later I sprayed the canvas with White Kings, Crystal Clear Acrylic.  This gives a beautiful high gloss as well as preventing the canvas from yellowing.
 Well ventilated, but sorry- forgot the mask and glasses!!! OOPS



 I have replaced the other canvas that I did earlier in the year to the spare room and put my new passionate red canvas above my bed- more fitting don't you think??
Since taking these pics I have purchased 2 red cushions to tie in the canvas colours with the bed.  I am very pleased with it- It totally lifts the room.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Jen, love that red and the textures are amazing! The effect you have created is so unique and looks perfect in your bedroom! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Jen! Always fun to polish off some projects during the holidays. Perfect in your bedroom! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks very interesting! I'm wondering how you applied the drizzling paint? You mixed the glaze and paint and then applied a large amount with a paintbrush to the top edge? Or did you put the mixture in a bottle that had an applicator tip?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts