Art is in the eye of the beholder and so too are the images that inspire. My work varies from painting, drawing , sculpting and photography. I get my inspiration from artists that I love, things that surround me, my family and my imagination.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Mum and Babes

I am a huge fan of Gustav Klimt. I particularly love his paintings of 'The Kiss' and 'Mother and Child'. Klimt used repeating patterns that were heavily ordained with gold. I wanted to mix the ideas of my 2 favourite paintings using my children and I as the subject. I have blurred their faces out for safety reasons. I firstly painted the background of my canvas with a cream colour and white- ensuring that one side was lighter than the other. I then got my husband to take photo's of me and the kids in the position that I wanted. I printed the photo and stuck it onto the painted background with PVA. I then used a water colour pencil to map out my design and then did all sections one colour first. Next, I used a series of Klimt inspired patterns like circles, flowers, eyes (which are photo's of all of the family printed and stuck on) and rectangle paper. I then cut out triangles from gold glossy paper and stuck them for the tassels. Finally I painted the bed of flowers that we are on and added some detail in our hair and on the cloak with the end of my paint brush. I painted this last Mothers day and it is very special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts